FETAL HEART VR
The world’s first mobile simulator for learning how to examine normal and affected by Congenital Heart Disease fetal hearts. Our simulator teaches physicians and medical students how to perform a prenatal cardiac scan. Thanks to our application one can reduce the training time as well as improve its effectiveness. Our mobile simulator can be used under different circumstances, even at home.
Coming across a fetus affected by Congenital Heart Disease while performing a routine prenatal sonography may become stressful to examiners. They can easily panic or make a mistake which could have serious consequences. Therefore, simulating such situations is essential for both less experienced as well as presenting a high level of expertise physicians. The latter can test their reaction time that it takes to diagnose the problem.
Not only aircraft pilots can practice their response under difficult conditions. Our simulator gives prenatal examiners the opportunity to minimize stress and objectively assess the situation when they encounter a Congenital Heart Disease.
DISCOVER MWU MEDICAL SOFTWARE
At MWU Medical Software we create applications for simulations and education in the field of prenatal ultrasonography. We develop computer programs, visualizations in virtual and augmented reality as well as mobile applications. Our projects are being created by Holobits company as a result of long-standing experience in software development and by experts in OB/GYN who are primarily focused on diagnostic ultrasonography. For many years our physicians have been offering prenatal ultrasound and counseling to the best obstetricians in Cracow and their patients at MWU DOBRE USG Diagnostic Center and through MWU Workshops (Małopolskie Warsztaty Ultrasonografii) they have been providing extensive didactic support aimed at obstetricians and gynecologists from Poland and abroad.
MWU Medical Software platform was also based on a collection of 3D Fetal Heart models, including 28 Congenital Heart Defects. These 3D models were created by three-dimensional ultrasound acquisitions of fetal hearts for over a decade as well as by cooperating with a team of industrial designers. Our models have been utilized by many experts all over the world, who utilise them for educational purposes and when dealing with pregnant patients diagnosed with Congenital Heart Disease in the fetus..
Fetal heart models presenting Congenital Cardiac Disease were developed in 3D printing technology and “brought to life” in Virtual Reality, which gave rise to our first mobile application – Fetal Heart VR.
FETAL HEART VR LAUNCH
Watch the coverage of Fetal Heart VR prototype launch, which took place during Advanced Fetal Cardio course on 7th December 2018.
FETAL HEART VR
Fetal Heart VR is a portable and personal simulator for learning how to scan fetal hearts. It is based on years of work by MWU Group in assembling a collection of 3D models of Congenital Heart Disease, which were “brought to life” in Virtual Reality environment, with the addition of angle dependent color Doppler mapping.
Thanks to Fetal Heart VR we hope to enable a more personal learning platform for prenatal cardiac scan, available for all professionals involved in prenatal sonography or even residents or medical students, instead of using expensive simulators for this purpose.
Ultimately, the application will feature 28 Congenital Heart Disease models. However, in order to create the best learning tool, we would like to hear professionals’ opinions and their reactions right now. This is why we will release the first version of our application soon, providing early access.
Our simulator allows to:
- learn the characteristics of particular types of Congenital Heart Disease and comprehend them, which later translates into faster detection of anomalies while performing a prenatal cardiac scan;
- simulate fetal cardiac scan using a VR controller on an artifact-free images in different modes: 2D, 3D, 2D + color Doppler, 3D + color Doppler; and Sono Mode with virtual ultrasound speckles;
- better understand how to maneuver the ultrasound transducer;
- reduce stress and panic among examiners, who encounter Congenital Heart Disease in the fetus.
Read more about the application.
Do you have any questions?
We are happy to answer all your questions. Feel free to contact us!
Our team consists of specialists in various fields:
- medicine – physicians focused on prenatal and pelvic ultrasonund, consultants in OB/GYN, who provide substantive framework for our projects;
- physics, computer science and graphics – designers and programmers responsible for developing our applications;
- industrial design – engineers specializing in product design develop and implement 3D fetal heart models, which are an invaluable educational tool for doctors and patients, as well as lay the foundations for Fetal Heart VR application.
Associate Professor at
the Department of Gynecology
Jagiellonian University Medical College
Grid Design Studio
VR/AR designer and programmer
OUR MISSION IS:
- to improve global detection rate for Congenital Heart Disease (CHD) in the fetus through:
- disseminating knowledge among examiners about sonographic prenatal cardiac evaluation, both normal and abnormal;
- teaching by comparing and emphasizing morphological and geometric differences between normal and abnormal fetal heart images;
- applying innovative educational solutions, such as synthetic teaching aids, creating tangible and electronic didactic resources based on novel technologies, e.g. 3D printing, virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR) in order to achieve the above-mentioned goals;
- promoting professional ultrasonography by means of cutting-edge educational programs;
- creating educational models dedicated for medical specialties which require hands-on practice and associative learning.