FETAL HEART VR
The world’s first mobile simulator for learning how to examine healthy and defective fetal hearts. Our simulator teaches doctors how to perform an examination of a fetal heart with congenital disorders. Thanks to this device we can reduce the training time as well as improve its effectiveness. Our mobile simulator can be used to examine the fetal heart under different circumstances, even at home.
Coming across a congenital defect in a fetal heart while performing a routine prenatal ultrasound may prove stressful to obstetricians. They can easily panic or make a mistake which could have serious consequences. Therefore, simulating such situations is essential for both less experienced as well as seasoned doctors. The latter can test their reaction time that it takes to diagnose the problem.
Not only aircraft pilots can practice their response under difficult conditions. Our simulator gives obstetricians the opportunity to minimize stress and objectively assess the situation when they encounter a congenital heart defect.
DISCOVER MWU MEDICAL SOFTWARE
In MWU Medical Software we create applications for simulations and education in the field of prenatal ultrasonography. We develop computer programs, visualizations in virtual and augmented reality as well as mobile applications. Our projects are being created by Holobits company as a result of long-standing experience in software development and by experts in gynecology and obstetrics who are primarily focused on diagnostic ultrasonography. For many years our physicians have been offering prenatal ultrasound and counseling to the best obstetricians in Cracow and their patients in MWU DOBRE USG Diagnostic Center and through MWU Workshops (Małopolskie Warsztaty Ultrasonografii) they have been providing extensive didactic support aimed at obstetricians and gynecologists from Poland and abroad.
MWU Medical Software platform was also based on a collection of 3D fetal heart models, including 28 congenital heart defects. These 3D models were created by gathering three-dimensional fetal heart ultrasound images for over a decade as well as by cooperating with a team of industrial designers. Our models have been utilized by many experts all over the world, who resort to them for educational purposes and when dealing with pregnancies diagnosed with prenatal CHD (Congenital Heart Defects).
Fetal heart models with Congenital Cardiac Diseases were developed in 3D printing technology and “brought to life” in Virtual Reality, which gave rise to our first mobile application – Fetal Heart VR.
FETAL HEART VR LAUNCH
Watch the coverage of Fetal Heart VR prototype launch, which took place during Advanced Fetal Cardio course on 7th December 2018.
FETAL HEART VR
Fetal Heart VR is a portable and personal simulator for learning how to examine fetal hearts. It is based on years of work by MWU Group in assembling a collection of 3D heart models and Congenital Heart Disease models, which were “brought to life” in a Virtual Reality environment, with the addition of color Doppler imaging.
Thanks to Fetal Heart VR we hope to enable a more personal opportunity to learn how to perform ultrasound scans, available for all professionals involved in prenatal sonography or even residents or medical students, instead of using expensive university simulators for this purpose.
Ultimately, the application will feature 28 Congenital Heart Disease models. However, in order to create the best learning tool, we would like to hear doctors’ opinions and reactions right now. This is why soon we will release the first version of our application, providing early access.
Our simulator allows to:
- Learn the characteristics of respective congenital fetal heart defects and comprehend them, which later translates into faster detection of anomalies while performing a prenatal scan;
- Simulate fetal heart scan using a VR controller on an artifact-free image in different modes: 2D, 3D, 2D + color Doppler, 3D + color Doppler;
- Better understand how to maneuver the ultrasonic transducer;
- reduce stress and panic among obstetricians, who detect congenital fetal heart defects in the course of their professional career.
Read more about the application.
Do you have any questions?
We are happy to answer all your questions. Feel free to contact us!
Our team consists of specialists in various fields:
- medicine – physicians focused on prenatal and pelvic ultrasonund, consultants in OB/GYN, who provide substantive framework for our projects;
- physics, computer science and graphics – designers and programmers responsible for developing our applications;
- industrial design – engineers specializing in product design develop and implement 3D fetal heart models, which are an invaluable educational tool for doctors and patients, as well as lay the foundations for Fetal Heart VR application.
Associate Professor at
the Department of Gynecology
Jagiellonian University Medical College
Grid Design Studio
VR/AR designer and programmer
OUR MISSION IS:
- to improve global detection rate for Congenital Heart Diseases (CHD) in the fetus through:
- disseminating knowledge among obstetricians about sonographic prenatal cardiac evaluation, both normal and abnormal;
- teaching by comparing and emphasizing morphological and geometric differences between normal and abnormal fetal heart images;
- applying innovative educational solutions, such as synthetic teaching aids, creating tangible and electronic didactic resources based on novel technologies, e.g. 3D printing, virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR) in order to achieve the above-mentioned goals;
- promoting professional ultrasonography by means of cutting-edge educational programs;
- creating educational models dedicated for medical specialties which require hands-on practice and associative learning.